Here to visit the Grant Tree, we follow a paved loop trail which also led us to the Fallen Monarch and the Gamlin Cabin. According to Judy Volker, "… This was the first permanent settlement in Kings Canyon. Since it was first built, the cabin has been moved and reconstructed three times. Originally, it was built from sugar pine, which is subject to decay when infested with termites. To preserve the cabin, a concrete foundation was constructed in 1978. At the same time the lower logs were replaced with termite-resistant giant sequoia. After the Gamblin brothers left, the cabin served a variety of uses, including storage for the U.S. Cavalry, ranger station and residence of the first park ranger, Mr. Lewis L. Davis from 1902-09."