The Neon Museum (Las Vegas, NV)
First learned about The Neon Museum on Instagram. Vegas is known for their bright lights so why not take homage to it’s historic neon light history?! I only wish we were in Las Vegas in the summer months so we could enjoy a warmer visit in the evening. We opted for a tour after we visited The Mob Museum closeby.
I would highly recommend a visit while in Vegas. It’s only an hour guided tour with some rules:
No backpacks, camera bags, large bags, additional camera lenses, monopods, selfie sticks or tripods are allowed on tours.
But it’s only $15-$19 for a Day Tour.
Here are some of the wonderful pictures we snapped on our mobile phone:
A historic walk of Vegas from the neon sign’s perspective.
"A 10-foot-tall Pool Player who once stood upon the roof of Doc and Eddy’s Pool Hall… body is made of hand-welded steel, his hair locks are made from rebar and his clothes, including jeans and the partially unbuttoned shirt, have been painted (palm tree Aloha shirt) on. What he lacks in light-up elements, he makes up for in swagger." –Vegas.com
Treasure Island retired their outdoor pirate show – Sirens of TI in 2013. Check out the Neon Museum on Google Maps Satellite View to see this pirate skeleton head.
What’s the significance of 1905…? ANSWER: On May 15, 1905, Las Vegas officially was founded as a city.
Quack… quack. This neon sign was used to try and sell Used Cars.
"Use for neon lighting was 1st demonstrated as far back as December 1910 by Georges Claude at the Paris Motor Show."
If you’re a fan of Neon Sign Art, where else can you visit to explore neon art collections?
- Tucson’s Historic Preservation Foundation – Neon Sign Project
- Hong Kong wants you to Explore the Neon Map
- According to Inside Japan Tours, the 3 best places to find dazzling neon adverts are at: Shinjuku – Kabukicho, Shibuya and Akihabara
- Museum of Vancouver has their permanent exhibition of Vancouver’s big city lights of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s
- In the Glendale, California area? Check out the Museum of Neon and jump aboard their Neon Cruise